COIT’s Guide on how to remove grass stains from Carpet
Keeping your carpet clean amidst the hustle and bustle of daily life is no easy task. Countless types of stains all jump at the chance to rear their ugly heads!
One of the most common stain types that affect carpet are grass stains. After kids spend time rolling around in the grass (or perhaps you’re simply doing your daily gardening duties), you’re often faced with the task to remove grass from carpet.
If you’re looking for some do-it-yourself tips to answer the question of how to remove grass stains from carpet, check out any of these three methods below.
How to Get Grass Stains Out of Carpet – Method # 1
- Upon discovering the stain, mix a quarter teaspoon of mild laundry detergent with a cup of cold water. Coldwater is the best way to go for this particular stain type.
- Dip a clean towel into the detergent and water mixture.
- Begin by blotting from the outside of the grass stain, working your way in toward the center. Avoid rubbing the stain.
- Continuously check the towel to see how much of the grass stain is transferring from the carpet to the towel. It should begin to disappear.
- Blot the stain using this method until the grass stain is no longer visible.
How to Remove Grass Stains from Carpet – Method # 2
Another at-home method you can try when you’re wondering how to get grass stains out of carpet involves using rubbing alcohol. Check out the step-by-step process below.
- Vacuum as much of the grass stain as possible (or any remaining soil that may have snuck into the house).
- Apply a bit of laundry detergent directly onto the stain. Put pressure on the stain to remove as much of the green coloring as possible.
- Rinse the stain with tap water and continue blotting.
- Apply an ammonia-based solution directly onto the stain, and blot again.
- Next, pour a generous amount of white vinegar directly onto the affected area. Follow up by blotting the stain.
- Rinse with tap water and use a towel to blot the area dry.
Remove Grass from Carpet – Method # 3
The problem of how to get grass stains out of carpet can also be solved using Oxiclean (use according to manufacturer's instructions). Follow these simple steps to give this do-it-yourself method a shot.
- Mix Oxiclean Versatile Stain Remover Powder in cool water.
- Pour the mixture onto the grass stain.
- Let the solution sit and soak into the stain for approximately 5 minutes.
- Rinse the affected area with cold water.
- Blot the carpet with a clean cloth or paper towels to remove the remaining water.
- Once the area of the carpet is dry, vacuum it again. The grass stain should disappear.
If the above-mentioned methods still leave remnants of grass stains, you may want to consider investing in COIT Carpet Cleaning. Using a truck-mounted cleaning system, our team of technicians can conquer the toughest stains that household methods can’t handle. Keep in mind, that although home-style spot remover vacuums do not have nearly the suction that professional carpet cleaning equipment does, they can be useful in an emergency. Don't forget to check out our coupons!
Remember to always do a spot removal test on a portion of carpet or upholstery that is normally not visible. These are suggested treatments only and COIT can't be held accountable for any damage sustained by the use of the treatments in this spot removal guide.