COIT's Guide on How to Remove Mildew Smell from Carpet
Whether you’re home alone or entertaining guests, having carpet that not only looks clean, but also smells clean is a definite must. If you happen to notice that an area of your carpet doesn’t smell pleasant, this may be a sign that mildew could be lurking above or below the surface.
In COIT’s step-by-step guide, learn a few different ways to remove mildew smell from carpet on your own.
How to Get Mildew Smell from Carpet – Method # 1
- As soon as you discover the smell, begin to vacuum the affected area as soon as possible. If possible, use a large, more powerful vacuum instead of a small hand vacuum. This will help remove even more dust and dirt from the affected area.
- Mix 1 cup of vinegar with 2 cups of warm water. Be sure to not add too much vinegar, as you don’t want to create too strong of a vinegar smell in your home by over wetting the carpet.
- Pour this vinegar and warm water solution into a spray bottle before applying to the carpet. This will ensure you don’t soak the carpet fibers, as this could cause new mildew deposits to form.
- Next, pour a generous amount of baking soda directly onto the affected area of your carpet.
- Give the carpet some time to dry before vacuuming the baking soda completely.
How to Remove Mildew Smell from Carpet – Method # 2
- Vacuum the carpet as soon as you discover the mildew smell.
- Purchase a foam carpet shampoo at your local drug store.
- Apply a generous amount of the carpet shampoo and rub it into the carpet using a sponge. Let the carpet sit for at least 20 minutes to dry.
- Once the area of the carpet has dried, vacuum the carpet to finish.
How to Get Mildew Smell from Carpet Using Professional Cleaning
In most cases, it’s worth a shot to try and remove stains and smells from your carpet yourself. But if you try the above methods and still can’t seem to get rid of the unpleasant mildew odor, you may want to take a look at what the COIT team can do for you. COIT’s carpet cleaning professionals can remove ground in dirt and mold spores that could be causing these noticeable odors in your home. Going way beyond simple carpet shampooing, our truck-mounted cleaning system can perform deep-down extraction that can actually improve the smell and the quality of the air you breathe. Call COIT today to schedule an appointment and don't forget to checkout our coupons!
Remember to always do a spot removal test on a portion of carpet or upholstery that is normally not visible. These are suggested treatments only and COIT can't be held accountable for any damage sustained by use of the treatments in this spot removal guide.